Re: [pygame] is there a way to optimize this code?

On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 11:59 PM, Ian Mallett<geometrian@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 1:42 PM, Hugo Arts <hugo.yoshi@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> How about writing a fragment shader?
>
> Well, vertex shaders and fragment shaders go together.  Sometimes a geometry
> shader can be added between them.  Together they're a "shader".
>>
>> I don't know whether this would
>> work or what performance would be like,
>
> The performance would be amazing.  Basically, it would take two texture
> samples and move one into the other, if applicable.  So few operations would
> run in the hundreds of frames/second.
>>
>> In any case an FBO is probably fast enough
>> for whatever amount of particles you want to throw at it.
>
> Well, a FBO is basically a screen--now you need something to draw on it ;-)
> You can use the traditional pipeline, but what's wiser is to use the shader,
> because the instructions for doing this sort of thing are very specific.
>
> I might make a little example of this based on my upcoming shader library--a
> completely renovated edition of some of my earlier work--if anyone's
> interested.
>
> Ian

Ah, sorry, missed that you already mentioned a shader in your previous
post, thought you were going to use an FBO in some different way I
didn't know about. I know the basics of 3D graphics programming, just
not the details ;-) Always wanted to invest more time learning those
details, never get around to it unfortunately