Re: transition plan was Re: [pygame] contemplating move to bitbucket(and hg). what do you think?

Hey,

On Fri, Aug 5, 2011 at 9:31 PM, Lenard Lindstrom <len-l@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello,

Before moving anything do some hg configuration, such as enabling the eol extension (http://mercurial.selenic.com/wiki/EolExtension). There is a PEP on the Python migration: http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0385.

From reading about the eol extension... it seems one issue with the eol extension is that everyone needs to enable it otherwise it doesn't work correctly.  Is that correct?  I don't remember any other project using this extension.  Maybe we don't really need it.  It seems python uses a hook to reject commits with wrong line endings based on the eol extension.  Maybe we can have one of these hooks in place.

     * what to do with branches, and trunk?

Most branches are closed. I just merged msvc64 back into trunk. It has be removed. The msi, testtools, and trackmod branches can be omitted as well.

ok, cool.  I can't figure out how to omit branches with the _hg convert_ extension so far.  I'm sure there's some way to prune things though.

Here's the pruning dead branches docs.
    http://mercurial.selenic.com/wiki/PruningDeadBranches

Maybe the _hg strip_ command is what we're looking for.  If want want to wipe them and their history.

         * instead of a trunk the root should be the trunk.

I think the trunk would become the tip. We may have to rethink how we commit changes. I admit I have used the Pygame SVN repository branches as an off site backup system while making changes. I don't know what the equivalent is with hg, if any. Maybe patches posted to the issue tracker can serve the purpose.

Lenard Lindstrom

Yeah, we can keep the tip as something like the trunk now I guess.  hg makes branches are way easier than svn branches.  The pull request is functionality is good too.  You fork the repo on your own account, and when ready send a pull request to the main branch.

I'll send some measurements of the converted repository size later today, once it's done converting.

cya!