Re: [pygame] Articles about game design?

Hi Hokan,

Gamasutra http://www.gamasutra.com has always had info about what I wanted whenever I went looking through it. I haven't been there recently though so don't know how much it might have changed. But any changes wouldn't impact the archives though. They have in-depth articles in the archives on all sorts of things, from A-star path-finding, to texture-mapping techniques, to algorithmic world construction, to inverse kinematics -- all kinds of things associated with games. The articles often contain code examples too (though not necessarily in python, of course).

One of the most widely known OpenGL game developing resources is the NeHe tutorials http://nehe.gamedev.net at gamedev.net which might not necessarily be directly useful for pygame programmers, but it can nevertheless help. I've used OpenGL with pygame in the past. See the links under "Legacy Tutorials" in the right-hand column on that page. I think the code for them all, originally C++, has been converted to most other languages, including python, and is listed at the end of each tutorial. Unfortunately it is MSWindows-based, but much of the code works on other OSes too. I hate the difficult-to-read color scheme on his pages so I ended up converting them on my own computer to make them more readable.

On NeHe's entry page you'll also find in the right-hand column a list of links to 15 "Legacy Articles" too. They are often quite interesting.

Hope this is a help.

Cheers,

	- Miriam

Hokan LUNDBERG wrote:
Hello!

I have used Pygame in my classes for a year now, and it is working
fine. Now I would like to find good articles about developing games
and game design in general. Maybe some of you have some ideas? Also
books in pdf about game design would be great.

Regards,
Hokan
(Programming teacher in Stockholm)

--
If you don't have any failures then you're not trying hard enough.
 - Dr. Charles Elachi, director of NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory