[pygame] Sound not playing at startup

Howdy,

I'm using pygame.mixer on an embedded project (a Beaglebone Black which is similar to a Raspberry Pi). My program works perfectly when run from the command line, even from / (i.e. I've correctly put in the links to sound files), but when I add the program to rc.local, no sound comes out when I start up the board. Can someone help? Do I have to run it as sudo from some user space startup file? If so, can you tell me which?

Thanks much,
Arthur