Re: [pygame] OpenGL with pygame

On Tue, 12 Dec 2000, ShredWheat wrote:

>i have a bit of experience with opengl, so i keep thinking about
>adding this functionality. currently, pygame does have the OPENGL
>and OPENGLBLIT flags available, so you should be able to create
>the appropriate screen.

Yep, I've seen those, so I thought it would potentially already be
integrated as a "bonus" from SDL. I've used OpenGL quite a lot in the past
for various visualization etc., but never for games. My game would benefit
a lot from some really basic 3D, even without any bells'n'whistles.

>this is pretty basic, and not probably not enough to use opengl
>with anything serious. the problem is that i've never used
>pyopengl, so i'm really unsure of the best way to do this.

It can be found at:

	http://pyopengl.sourceforge.net

It seems to integrate with Tk and/or wxWindows, so I don't know how hard
it is to get to cooperate with pygame.

>i really don't want to work on any of this until i've played
>with pyopengl a bit. one feature that might be pretty easy to
>add would be support for offscreen opengl surfaces. SDL doesn't
>offer this functionality, but it should be easy to add in a wrapper
>on top of SDL. i was thinking about looking at other python UI
>libs that wrap opengl for any added insight. (tkinter, fxpy, wxpython)
>
>well, the opengl module is a little lower priority. it is something
>i'd like to implement, but i don't know enough about it to write
>something that would be pleasant. if someone knows enough to take
>a stab at it, i'd be glad to help get it working.

I didn't mean to have you started on the project, just discuss the
possibility of looking into it in the future. I'd be happy to help with
the project when it comes to actually doing it, but for now I'll focus on
getting my 2D version done.

Btw, would anyone mind if I post a small problem I have with surfaces? I
seem to be unable to create HW-accelerated surfaces/screens whatever I do,
and have some problems understanding the info available on this topic.