[pygame] (FWD) Re: examples not running

----- Forwarded message from owner-pygame-users@seul.org -----

Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 12:27:12 -0500
From: mark kimsal <chugadie.geo@yahoo.com>
To: pygame-users <pygame-users@seul.org>
CC: ShredWheat <shredwheat@mediaone.net>
Subject: Re: examples not running

ShredWheat wrote:

>> From: mark kimsal <chugadie.geo@yahoo.com>
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Can someone help me to get pygame-0.4 and python2.0 working together
>> under windows?  I downloaded the extra zip of the dependencies, moved
>> that Setup file into the pygame src dir, and ran python setup.py install
>> [output follows].  I didn't see any errors, but I can't run any of the
>> examples.  The error I get is this
>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>   File "aliens.py", line 428, in ?
>>    main()
>>   File "aliens.py", line 228, in main
>>    screen = pygame.display.set_mode(SCREENRECT.size, winstyle)
>> pygame.error: video system not initialized

>  try this in interactive python

beautifull error came up
 >>> import pygame
 >>> pygame.display.init()
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
pygame.error: DirectInputCreate: Your version of DirectInput needs upgrading

Ooh wow, looks like i have a DX5 version of dinput... does that sound
right comming from an unmodified Win98 machine?

> if that init fails, you'll get an exception that should contain a more
> specific error message. i am thinking that this might be a directx issue.
> if the error seems to lead you that way, try setting an environment
> variable before starting pygame...
>
> C:> set SDL_VIDEODRIVER=windib
> C:> python

Yes, settting that helped, but now I'm getting an error about the sound
when I run the aliens demo

pygame.error: mixer system not initialized

Naturally, I tried set SDL_MIXERDRIVER=windib and
SDL_SOUNDDRIVER=windib, no luck.  I'm going to get a newer version of
DirectX.  In the meantime how would I init SDL's mixer not to use DirectX?

P.S. I believe I am on the pygame-users' list properly.  I recieved a
"welcome-to" message from the major already.

----- End forwarded message -----