Re: [pygame] pygame on OS X?

Jeremy Biddle wrote:

> has anyone been able to get pygame working under OS X?  i am running
> Python 2.2b2.  if i try to run any pygame examples (or even try to
> import pygame at the python interpreter prompt) then python bombs out
> with the following error:
>
> % python glcube.py
> dyld: python Undefined symbols:
>
> so it looks like the dynamic linker is unable to resolve some symbols
> but i don't really know any more than that.  also, why would it kill
> python entirely?
>
> if anyone has any suggestions...

jeremy, osx support is currently a little rough. no one has been able to
get it to work. there's nothing that should stop it from working, our
current problem is we can't figure out the commandline flags on OSX to
actually build our shared libraries.

distutils appears to still be using the "suppress-undefined" flags, even
though that is not recommended for os x.1 anymore. we have worked on
this before, and have figured out we can 'force' any sort of commandline
args we need to for osx, but from the 3 or 4 people i've talked to so
far, no one knows how to build a proper shared lib for osx.

(if someone could provide me with the compile command used to build a
shared library for something like SDL_image, that could be a big start)

no osx support is a big problem for pygame, and i'd really like to get
it fixed up. just need the assistance with someone with access to the
platform, and who knows their way around compiling for osx (many exotic
flags) :]