[pygame] key press question

So I'm working on my first application and I've got a question.  I was
looking at the newbie guide about the different ways of handling keyboard
events and I've got a bit of a problem.

Initially I had written my application to use the event queue since I wanted
to make sure and not miss any key presses.  As things progressed I needed to
be able to use "chording".  Since my main loop was pretty dull I decided to
try and switch things over to use state checking.  The problem I found is that
I'm getting repeating characters.  I tinkered with the set_repeat value, but
that only seems to work when using the event queue.  Am I missing something
obvious here or is that just the way things works?

Like I said originally I'd prefer to use the event queue, but I'm not sure how
to go about handling the simultaneous key presses.  I looked at several of the
projects hoping to find an example, but came up empty.  Any thoughts or samples
to point me in the right direction (for either option) are appreciated.
Thanks Much

Robert