AW: [pygame] Network

Title: AW: [pygame] Network

AFAIK the hard part of network programming is not setting up the sockets and things like that, but the game logic concerning the connections: keywords like time synchronisation, latency, interpolation come to mind.  Does anyone know how these topics are solved in SDL?

-----Ursprungliche Nachricht-----
Von: Gustavo Niemeyer [mailto:niemeyer@conectiva.com]
Gesendet: Dienstag, 11. Dezember 2001 17:47
An: pygame-users@seul.org
Betreff: Re: [pygame] Network

Hi Adam!

>   Depends on your application- I've found that the SOAP and XML-RPC
> stuff has a lot of latency. In other words, it's quite slow. I think
> this is due to setting up a new socket for each connection, and also
> parsing the XML.

Somebody asked about something like this and I've just pointed it
was already available. I was not suggesting its use at all.

>   For game stuff, either a single long-lived socket or UDP
> communication seems better to me.

No doubts!

>   To do SOAP or XML-RPC over a single long-lived socket, rather than
> setting up a new socket each time, I think you would have to write a
> new transport for XML-RPC- which would not be too hard, I think.
[...]

You can probably do the same thing with either of them. As you told,
it'd be just a case of preserving the connection. It'd still be a lot
of overhead for a game, though.

Thanks!

--
Gustavo Niemeyer

[ 2AAC 7928 0FBF 0299 5EB5  60E2 2253 B29A 6664 3A0C ]