[pygame] pygame for Mac

Hello all,
    I am brand-spanking new to the world of Python programming and even newer
to Pygame.  I was wondering if there were any Mac Pygamers out there who
wouldn't mind pointing this rookie in the right direction.
    I understand just enough Python to write simple programs...but I am
stumped with pygame.  I can't seem to install pygame for the life of me.
Either this is due to my denseness (which is very possible) or there are code
issues in the older Mac Pygame.
    I have a Mac (G3 laptop) running Mac OS 9 and Python 2.1.1.  I downloaded
 "pygame-1.1-src.sit" and "pygame-1.1.tar.gz" and I have had absolutely no
luck.
    I dragged and dropped the "pygame" folder (containing all of the modules)
into the "python:lib:site-packages" folder and even dragged-and-dropped the
extensions into the "Extensions" folder.  Yet, no matter what I do, a common
response from Python is:

  File "244 HD:Applications:Python 2.1.1:pygame:__init__.py", line 27, in ?
    from pygame.base import *
ImportError: No module named base

    The truth is Python doesn't seem to see any of the pygame modules at all.
    I would greatly appreciate it if someone could point me in the right
direction.
    Thank you.

Louie

PS. I own a copy of CodeWarrior which I never used.