[pygame] Getting Pygame Dependencies Installed in Panther (Mac)

Hi,

As recommended, I upgraded to OS10.3 and to the latest MacPython/Pygame stuff. Eventually I did get it working (I think) with the Python included in the OS, albeit not with the latest version of Numeric.

For those that are interested, below I've included a log of the various errors, problems, and confusions I encountered along the way. For adoption of python/pygame on the Mac, making it so that newbies can easily get the development environment initially installed is probably the most important thing, more important than more features. In my case, I already been using Pygame for several months in Windows.

* Installed Panther this weekend (OS10.3)
* Found "MacPython Extras" dmg for 10.3 on MacPython website and installed it

============== TRYING TO INSTALL THE LATEST VERSION OF NUMERIC

* I use Numeric, so I went to newly installed Package Manager and used it to install Numeric (which was Numeric-22.0-binary). Installed okay.
* Found http://undefined.org/python/pimp/ with 10.3 plist
* Opened up URL http://undefined.org/python/pimp/darwin-7.0.0-Power_Macintosh.plist in Package Manager and found that the Numeric I just installed was already out of date!

* Clicked to install "Numeric-23.1-binary"
* Got error: (AppleInstalledPython): This package needs to be installed manually (no Download-URL field)

* Went to http://undefined.org/python/pimp/ and clicked on Numeric link
* Link pointed to http://stsdas.stsci.edu/numarray/, but this has changed, now is http://www.stsci.edu/resources/software_hardware/numarray
Maybe this URL change is the problem?

* Expected to see something about Numeric version 23.1 on this page, but there is nothing like that here. According to the "News" the most recent versions released were... 0.5, 0.6, and 0.6.1!
* Click on "More..." link by 0.6.1 release and get to another page about versions 0.5, 0.6, and 0.6.1.
* Click to go to "Download page" for version 0.6.1. The page shows versions 0.6.2 and 0.7 and version 0.6.2 is newer than 0.7. Scrolling down I found numpy 23.1. That must be it! I look for a Mac installer (dmg), but can't find any, so I download Numeric-23.1.tar.gz

* Extracting Numeric-23.1, I search for and find a ReadMe that directs me to do "python setup.py install" in the new directory. When I do this, lots of directories are built and files copied, then it gets to the gcc step and prints hundreds of warnings and errors:

gcc -fno-strict-aliasing -Wno-long-double -no-cpp-precomp -mno-fused-madd -fno-common -dynamic -DNDEBUG -g -O3 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -IInclude -IPackages/FFT/Include -IPackages/RNG/Include -I/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/include/python2.3 -c Src/ufuncobject.c -o build/temp.darwin-7.0.0-Power_Macintosh-2.3/Src/ufuncobject.o
Src/ufuncobject.c:14:20: Python.h: No such file or directory
In file included from Src/ufuncobject.c:21:
Include/Numeric/arrayobject.h:24: parse error before '*' token
Include/Numeric/arrayobject.h:24: warning: type defaults to `int' in declaration of `PyArray_GetItemFunc'
Include/Numeric/arrayobject.h:24: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
Include/Numeric/arrayobject.h:25: parse error before '*' token
Include/Numeric/arrayobject.h:25: warning: function declaration isn't a prototype
Include/Numeric/arrayobject.h:30: parse error before "PyArray_GetItemFunc"
Include/Numeric/arrayobject.h:30: warning: no semicolon at end of struct or union
Include/Numeric/arrayobject.h:37: parse error before '}' token
Src/ufuncobject.c:999: warning: data definition has no type or storage class

* Give up on getting Numeric 23.1 installed

==============

* Next, open up URL specified in http://undefined.org/python/pimp/ and try to install pygame-1.6-binary
* Get this error: Problem with dependency: (WriteableBin): This package cannot be installed automatically (no Download-URL field)
Perhaps the problematic dependency is Numeric again?

* Maybe I can get the installer directly. I go to the main Pygame page, follow links to download OSX version of 1.6. It just leads me right back to http://undefined.org/python/pimp/ Hmm...

* Maybe I can install the dependencies myself. Pygame's dependencies are listed as:
PyObjC, sdl_pygame_deps, PyOpenGL, Numeric
* With PackageManager, I find PyOpenGL-2.0.1.07-binary in the undefined.org and click Install:
Its line switches from "no" to "yes", but also gives an error:
(AppleInstalledPython): This package needs to be installed manually (no Download-URL field)

* I find PyObjC-1.0-binary and click Install:
* Get this error: Problem with dependency: (WriteableBin): This package cannot be installed automatically (no Download-URL field)

* Even though the http://undefined.org/python/pimp/ page lists PyObjC's "prerequisites" as "None", I try unchecking "Install Dependencies" in PackageManager and re-install. This time it works!
* I try installing sdl_pygame_deps-1.2.6-binary and pygame-1.6-binary without "Install Dependencies" checked and that works.