Re: [pygame] I have Python 2.3 and 2.4; can't use pygame

Dick Moores wrote:

Pete Shinners wrote at 09:21 12/12/2004:

Dick Moores wrote:

I just installed pygame in C:\Python23\Lib\site-packages. During the installation I tried to install it in C:\Python23\Lib\site-packages, but the installation process wouldn't let me.

I'm sorry, I carelessly mispoke. That last sentence should have read "During the installation I tried to install it in C:\Python24\Lib\site-packages, but the installation process wouldn't let me". So pygame was installed in Python23, not 24.

Dick

I'm surprised there is any trouble. The installer is built with the distutils that comes with Python2.3. Previously it has always found the correct Python version and installs it to the right place. The install file is just a big .ZIP. You could load the .EXE into winzip and extract it to the python2.3 site-packages.

I think that any Pygame installer you get will be strictly for Python2.3. As far as I know (and that ain't much of a walk), one would have to compile pygame and all it's dependancies by one's lonesome in order to have Pygame for Python2.4. This is something that I've been failing at for the last week or so. I keep getting stuck on the PyOpenGL module and it's dependancies.

At anyrate, I'd love to be wrong and have a python2.4 ready pygame binary or easy installation script but I think Pygame's wonderful maintainers are working terribly hard on a lot of other stuff and a new and updated version is still in the works. I've heard that there might be something before the new year.... I must emphasize however that I'm completely in the dark here and am only making wild speculations as to what's actually going on.

~Israel~