Re: [pygame] pyopengl and pygame

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 programowanie1982@xxxxx wrote:

> does anybody use the pyopengl with pygame?? is it stable and suitable for
> 3D engine develop??

It works very well for me.  I use it for perspective, smooth
scrolling/zooming, and efficient "sprite sheet" texture animation on the
main map of my 4x game, and also for depicting terrain/soldiers during
battles.  It also makes transparent gui frames easy, which is a nice touch.

I've had no stability problems at all, although I'm not sure if a Python 2.4
pyopengl is readily available yet (but then it's not for pygame either).
For my purposes the only computing limit I've run into is max graphics card
texture size.

Here's a couple of screenshots of the strategic screen, although I've left
out the battles since I don't (yet) have copyright or permission to the
sprites I'm using for development.

http://gazler.com/users/jasper//1221154839_screen.jpg
http://gazler.com/users/jasper//1221155402_screen.jpg

The map is one big textured quad, with filters for what to show, which are
blitted into the texture as needed.  The exception is the selection circle,
which is an animation and on it's own quad.  The gui elements are also
textured quads via pyui.

The battle screen is similar, with a big "ground" textured quad, and then
quads per soldier "billboarded" to face the camera.

-Jasper