[pygame] Perhaps a port for this into Pygame?

I was talking to some of my friends about Python and Pygame, and
though they seem quite interested, they're "hardcore" RPG makers. What
does this mean?

Well, they whine about the lack of a proper map editor and map format.
I told them it's quite easy to do this and not a true pain as it would
be in other languages, but all they had to reply was a "Meh."

So I searched into some map formats SDL has ports for, and I came
across this: http://membres.lycos.fr/edorul/SDLMappye.htm

Apparently, it's a good map editor (Mappy) and the library (SDLMappy)
draws the maps efficiently too. Haven't dug up THAT much on it, but
yeah.

I was wondering if anybody was interested or up for doing something of
this kind, or if anything similar was available.