Re: [pygame] Freezing problem - another angle.......

On Dec 31, 2004, at 12:53 AM, Matt Bailey wrote:

OK, here's what's going on, heh.............I've figured out that sound is
definitely the problem. By removing /dev/dsp (which is just a link to /dev/
dsp0), Pygame apps run fine, but no sound obviously. I have two soundcards in
my system, maybe that's causing problems? One is an Ensoniq PCI card, the
other is my nforce2 motherboard's onboard sound. I installed nvidia's modules
for my motherboard. Normally I use the PCI card for sound, but since I
installed the drivers, it seems the nvidia onboard card is now "default".
Strangely, while alsaconf shows both cards, alsamixer shows just the PCI
card. Now that the onboard card is "default", attempting to init pygame
produces the following error instead of hanging up:

 Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "war907.py", line 1525, in ?
    boom = pygame.mixer.Sound('boom3.wav')
pygame.error: mixer system not initialized

/dev/mixer points to /dev/mixer0, and /dev/dsp points to /dev/dsp0. Pointing
to mixer1/dsp1 doesn't work at all.

I can play other audio just fine. It seems like maybe Pygame is still trying
to use the PCI card, maybe......? My old module for the PCI card is es1371,
which I can't load now for some reason (the dreaded "unresolved symbols"
error), even if I first remove the nvsound module (module for onboard sound).

How do I "tell" Pygame which sound device to use? See, I was thinking maybe
having the onboard soundcard in the system with no drivers might be throwing
off pygame, so I installed drivers for it. Now I need to make sure of which
card pygame is trying to use. FWIW, sound in other apps is now using the
onboard sound card (and I can't seem to switch soundcards :P ).

You might want to try asking this on the SDL mailing list. These problems are certainly not related to anything pygame does on its own.

-bob