[pygame] rendering wide unicode characters?

The following script _should_ render a large unicode character of the
Clef symbol. You'll need Arial Unicode MS installed to test it, or any
other complete unicode font (this is the only one I know of)

Instead, I get a large chinese character. Is there a problem with SDL,
or pygame, or am I just missing something? It tries to pass the raw
unicode character, the UTF8 and UTF16 encoded versions. This is with
pygame 1.7.1release on Ubuntu 05.10 (Breezy).

Thanks,
Anthony