Re: [pygame] Fedora extras

Greetings ...

michel.vandenbergh@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
I wonder if there are any plans for putting pygame into Fedora Extras? That would make it possible for games
that depend on it to go into the Extras as well.

Extra will not take the standard package, because pygame depends on smpeg and some other lib's which have patents and things like that ...

I think a package without the patented bits would still be nice. One doesn't need mp3 support for games. ogg is just fine.
That had been discussed on the Extra's maillist, but nobody put up anything, plus, too many application rely on these patented bits.

Installing http://rpmforge.net/user/packages/rpmforge-release/ package for your distro is easier.

But I would think that there is a use for pygame without the patent bits, but how easy that would be to setup or even modularize so that the patent bit could be added in if needed, because it might cause problems with other projects ... At least that was how the discussion when on the Extra's mail list ... I'm sure that you google for the discussion. It made sense at the time and was allot easier to just use RPMForge repo ... I'm very lazy, sorry.

Mailed
Lee