Re: [pygame] Pygame missing surfarray

I did the following and you can see that it broke before getting to NUMERIC. It looks like smpeg-config is not where it is supposed to be:

KMA:/home/Johan/work/Python/pygame/pygame-1.7.1release # python config.py
Using UNIX configuration...

Backup existing "Setup" file [y/N]:y

Remove old build directory (force recompile) [y/N]:y

Hunting dependencies...
sh: smpeg-config: command not found
WARNING: "smpeg-config" failed!
SDL     : found 1.2.8
FONT    : found
IMAGE   : not found
MIXER   : not found
SMPEG   : not found
NUMERIC : not found

Warning, some of the pygame dependencies were not found. Pygame can still compile and install, but games that depend on those missing dependencies will not run. Would you like to continue the configuration? [Y/n]:n

Troels Therkelsen wrote:

Johan Geldenhuys wrote:

It looks like pygame is working, but surfarray is missing.

What do you suggest I install in what sequence to fix this?
Should I install numeric and then pygame? How do I see what I have and how do I uninstall pygame, numeric to start fresh?

TIA,
johan

If you cd to the pygame source root dir and run the ./configure script, it should tell you which external packages it can find (and configure appropriately for them). For example, the output for me is:

Using UNIX configuration...

Hunting dependencies... SDL : found 1.2.8 FONT : found IMAGE : found MIXER : found SMPEG : found 0.4.4 NUMERIC : found 24.0b2

If you get compiler errors during install, doublecheck
the compiler flags in the "Setup" file.

If you don't get the 'found xxxx' line for the Numeric module, then you need to install Numeric and then run ./configure again.

You shouldn't need to uninstall pygame before reinstalling, but if you want to make sure then you can delete the /usr/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages/pygame/ directory.

Then you install pygame by running "python setup.py install" in the same dir that the ./configure script is in.

I've followed those simple steps half a dozen times and they never failed for me, so if you still can't get it working, then some of the smart people here have to help. Or you can try the irc channel (irc.freenode.net 6667 #pygame).

Best of luck!

/Troels Therkelsen