Re: [pygame] Scripting language

it seems safer to just use something
external and expose only the objects and methods I choose to allow.

This doesn't answer your original question, but I'll suggest it in case it helps...

Perhaps you should look at something like Twisted's Perspective
Broker.  It's hard to wrap your head around, but it allows you to
declare certain data types and methods as "callable" by clients of a
server.  Then your scripting language can be Python, and the clients
can run whatever code they want (including removing their own home
directories if they really want to :P) but they can't run arbitrary
code on your server, only specific functions that you manually mark as
"ok" for remote clients to call.