Re: [pygame] Scripting language

On Mon, 2006-12-18 at 16:53 -0500, Brandon N wrote:
> Hello all,
>    This is not strictly a pygame question though it does relate to my
> use of pygame in general. What have people used for scripting
> languages in Python? I suppose I could use Python itself but I do not
> want to expose anything through the use of eval or otherwise
> (currently I am doing just about this). While I do not want to write
> a language from scratch, I do have a simple Lisp implementation that
> I could expose.

I would recommend using Scheme :P

For my project (Thousand Parsec - http://www.thousandparsec.net ) we had
a similar problem. To make the matters worse we also need it to be
compatible across C++, Java, PHP, etc. (I even found an implementation
in Javascript!)

We found that Scheme is the only full language which been reimplemented
in almost every other language under the sun.

Scheme is very closely related to lisp only is much smaller. There are a
few pure python implementations such as pyScheme. You can also wrap C
libraries such as mzscheme and guile. It is also pretty trivial to write
your own scheme parser and often turns up as an assignment in Computer
Science courses.

The biggest downside of Scheme is that it's bracket soup. Programs like
DrScheme are pretty good in helping you write it however. If you are
using Lisp anyway then this isn't a problem for you.

Hope this help.

Tim Ansell