[pygame] piman's tutorial.Class variable usage.

Hello,

The piman's tutorial on sprites:

http://kai.vm.bytemark.co.uk/~piman/writing/sprite-tutorial.shtml

class MySprite(pygame.sprite.Sprite):
image = None

def __init__(self):
pygame.sprite.Sprite.__init__(self)

if MySprite.image is None:
# This is the first time this class has been instantiated.
# So, load the image for this and all subsequence instances.
MySprite.image = pygame.image.load("image.png")

self.image = MySprite.image
Refers to MySprite.image , as variable common to all instances, I guess, somewhat a static member in C++, Am I right?

This is more of a python question, I went through the docs but found nothing related.

Thanks in advance.