Re: [pygame] So can anyone confirm, does pygame work with python 3?

hi,

kind of(no).  There are branches for python3 stuff in svn started
about 7 months ago... both Marcus and Lenard have done work on it -
but I don't think anything is complete.  We have also been preparing
for py3k by improving our unittests significantly.

There is currently *no* complete C API migration document provided by
the python 3 developers.  I have set up a wiki here with notes for
migrating:
http://wiki.python.org/moin/cporting

Also the python 3 developers were changing the C API as they went...
but unfortunately not documenting all the changes.  So it was best to
wait until they finished and released py3k, rather than changing code
constantly as their API changed.

I wouldn't switch to python3 yet...
- no support for older operating systems that make up more than 3% or
so of computer users.
    - eg it doesn't work on versions of win98, win2k, current linux
distros, older versions of mac os(there's no installer for mac osx at
all yet).
- most modules haven't been ported to py3k yet.
    - a lot of modules haven't even been ported to python 2.6 yet(eg numpy).
- the 2to3 tool is still buggy, but should improve over time as more
people port their code and fix bugs in the tool.
- print is now a function!  (well probably not important at all... but
it just annoys me... hehe)
- no pygame for it yet!  hehe.  Well I think you could build a lot of
it from source with a bit of effort.
- python 3 is slower.  I think around 10% slower with the standard benchmarks.
- no macosx installer yet for python 3.
- most example code, and projects are written for python 2.x

cu,