Re: [pygame] problems with using video

Joseph Rawson wrote:
Hi,

I am new to using pygame, and I have just started making my first application with it. I have been tasked to create a slideshow type of application for a client. Basically, it just displays a picture in the background with a text message scrolling along the bottom of the screen for each scene in the slideshow. I have been trying to incorporate videos into this application, but I've been having problems with this.

I've been able to get the videos to play, and I've made it so that they appear framed in the center of the screen so the scrolling text doesn't look messed up when scrolling by on the bottom (In the future, I'm probably going to fix it so the whole background will play the video, and the text will be drawn with the current frame as a background, but that's too involved for me at the moment). I've made it so that the video will loop for the duration of the scene, which is timed according to the text on the bottom of the screen scrolling completely past.

The problem is that most of the time (almost 100%) the video (and whole scene) will freeze up, and pygame will become unresponsive. Occasionally, the whole thing will crash leaving this error message:

python: ../../src/xcb_lock.c:77: _XGetXCBBuffer: Assertion `((int) ((xcb_req) - (dpy->request)) >= 0)' failed.

Here, have a look at this discussion:

http://nwn.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic.html?topic=592893&forum=72

It looks like the same problem, an X-windows/KDE conflict. SDL is also mentioned. What version on SDL do you have?

Lenard

--
Lenard Lindstrom
<len-l@xxxxxxxxx>