[pygame] Masks?

Hi all:

I don't have clear how to use the masks to collisions....

I have a bmps with a keycolor and with many frames of the same
spaceship in each and blit a area of them to simulate movement....

How can I do a mask of one part -a frame- of the bmp to see if it
collides with another part -another frame- of another bmp? To find a
exact collision of both? I've done collisions with rectangles, but I
wanna put big ships (like level bosses or medium size ships) and in
that ships this aproximation is poor, so I want, if is a rectangle
collition, to have the posibility of know if its a real collision

If I do a mask of the bmps, I understand that then pygame will test
all the frames in each bmp with all frames of the other bmp?...?¿

--
Nota: Tildes omitidas para evitar incompatibilidades.

:wq