[pygame] Best free fonts?

I am getting to the point in my game where I have to render a lot of text, so I thought I would do a brief survey:

- What is your favorite free ttf font?
- What is the clearest font for displaying lots of small print (chracter dialog boxes, for instance)?
- If any of you create fonts, what is your favorite (under $100) program fro the creation of high-quality ttf fonts?

Thanks in advance for your help,
Chris McCormick

PS - Maybe if we get a decent list, we could contact the font authors (where possible) about hosting their fonts on the pygame site?