[pygame] Pygame on Mac Q

Hi,

I have some questions on pygame under Mac OS X.  I downloaded Bob Ippolito's
very nice distribution and got (some) pygame/pyopengl examples to run
quickly.  I encountered problems with some examples (e.g., lesson6.py from
the NeHe demos -- I realize this is actually pyOpengl/glut) where the python
interpreter on Mac uses the applications directory as the current working
directory, rather than the python script's directory (which seems to be the
usual functioning under Unix and Windows).

Since I'd like to stay portable, is there a good way to work around this?

Also, I'm trying to understand Bob's instructions about running from the
terminal.app vs. the finder -- if I want debugging info, backtrace, etc.,
what's the right way to achieve this (can't see how to do this even with
option-click launching)?  Has anyone been successful in getting Idle to
work?

Finally (sorry, lots of q's), I'm trying to get a better handle on why OS X
has this seemingly weird dichotomy between Unix functionality and Mac
functionality (launching a unix process that subsequently creates windows,
etc. doesn't work well if you don't do things the proper mac way - app
resources and all that).  Basically, Bob makes a few comments that indicate
this, but I'm looking for explanation in Apple documentation, and haven't
found anything too useful.  I'd really like to be able to just build
unix-style apps (even just use a vanilla unix build of python to invoke SDL,
etc), and want to understand how to do this (or at least, why I can't).

Thanks for any ideas!

Bill Weiland