[pygame] Trapping another program's joystick input?

I know this is probably a strech but...

I'm writing an emulator frontend for myself in Pygame, which I plan to use
with my TV.  I would prefer to only have to use a joystick to control the
frontend and the emulators.  Unfortunately, every emulator has a different
exit mechanism (e.g., hitting escape, using a menu, etc.)... I would like
to have my frontend be able to trap the joystick input from the emulator
it spawns and be able to interpret a sequence of keypresses as an "exit
signal", meaning that it should kill the process.  Is there any way to do
this with Pygame?  It would be a shame if I had to keep a keyboard and/or
mouse around at all times just to be able to play console games.

Thanks,

Curtiss Howard