Re: [pygame] Error setting cooperative level?

Curtiss Howard wrote:
Is anyone familiar with this error?  I have a program that runs
fullscreen and spawns a copy of some other program wanting the
display (in this case, MAME).  Of course, this doesn't work as the
error message "Error setting cooperative level" is displayed along
with a register dump.  Running in a window gets rid of this problem,
as does calling pygame.display.quit() before spawning the program and
creating a new display upon its termination, but neither of these
solutions are optimal in my view.  Any ideas?
this sounds like a directx error, when one app goes for the fullscreen, it doesn't share it with any other apps. if you are on windows, i'd recommend this

os.environ['SDL_VIDEO_DRIVER']='windib'

before calling pygame init. this way SDL will just use the GDI libraries to run on windows. and i'm _pretty_ sure other apps can easily steal fullscreen control away from your app.

if you are on unix of some sort. i believe your best bet will be calling pygame.display.toggle_fullscreen() before and after running the application. toggle fullscreen works well under X, but just about no other platforms. :-/