Re: [pygame] Re: problem with loading MP3 file in pygame

On Mon, 2003-02-24 at 02:11, Pete Shinners wrote:
> From: "Walter A. Aprile" <w.aprile@interaction-ivrea.it>
> > Hello,
> >
> > 	I am using python 2.2 under Windows 2000 with pygame 1.5.5
> >
> > 	The following code snippet
> >
> > import pygame
> > import pygame.mixer
> >
> > filename = r"C:\Python22\pygame-work\tango.mp3"
> >

> walter, strange. can you try it on some different mp3s. i have seen
> SMPEG unable to decode the occasional mp3 file, and perhaps this is one
> of them?
> PS, you'll need to subscribe to post the the pygame-users mailing list,
> but can reply to me direct if it's easier.

On my system SMPEG will fail on mp3s that have ID3 tags (in my case,
ID3v2). XMMS plays those mp3s just fine. Once I stripped the mp3 files
of the ID3 tags (using a tool on Linux called 'id3v2'), SMPEG played the
mp3s with no problem. Linux's 'file' command knows enough about mp3s to
tell you if the mp3 file has ID3 tags or not.

--gilbert