Re: [pygame] audio: interactive music systems?

What has anyone done with interactive music systems
with pygame?
Well, I hope I can answer most of this, having written a game that completely revolves around music =]

Can pygame make use of DirectAudio (DirectSound/DirectMusic)?
I don't really use DirectThis or DirectThat, so I can't answer this

or is there some other api/extension that can allow music other than canned soundfiles to be used in a pygame?
You can play any kind of music/sound file in pygame that SDL_mixer supports. This means at least:

MP3, Ogg, WAV, MIDI, MOD, S3M, XM, IT.

works more like a midi sequence (unmixed and mixed
at runtime) vs. canned sounfiles
The music is mixed at runtime if you play something like a midi or a mod, though you are not in full control of the mixing.

I need to read up on pygame/sdl's audio subsystem - but
is it geared more for basic sample playback...?
Pygame's sound stuff is geared for exactly that, games. Though iMuse and other stuff with realtime mixing and games controlling sound was a really cool thing, most games require background music and sound effects.

So, pygame can play just about any type of file for background music, and then load sound effects and mix them together with SDL_mixer. You can't control the pitch of the sounds, so that's a bit of a pain, but again, writing, say, music composition software, doesn't mean writing a game =]

Someday SDL_mixer will be a little more flexible and maybe this will be possible. The limitation doesn't really lie in pygame, anyhow.

* tgz@orotech.net * http://clickass.org * ICQ# 1107012 * AIM/Yahoo: theGREENzebra * http://mp3.com/thegreenzebra
-----GEEK CODE 3.12-----
GCM/CS/IT/MU d? s: a22 C++++ UL++++ P+ L+++>$ E---- W++ N+ o K- w---$ O- M V-- PS+ PE Y+ PGP- t++(+++) 5- X R tv(+) b+(-) DI+++ D+ G++ e h++ r+(---) y+ UF*++