Re: [pygame] audio: interactive music systems?

Pygame's sound stuff is geared for exactly that, games. Though iMuse and other stuff with realtime mixing and games controlling sound was a really cool thing, most games require background music and sound effects.
Insert an "only simple" between require and background.

I am asking purely for game use - I think you misunderstood... typically
canned background music is used in most games - rather than it being
based around multiple game variables influencing and dictating what is
played and how its played - making it more connected to the current
emotional feel of the game... with interactive music - you have samples
say of an orchestra and based on some predefined composition patterns
these can be mixed at runtime based on current game status / game variables
so music never sounds looped or un-connected to the current game state...
Actually, that's *exactly* what iMuse does, which is why I used it as an example =]

Did you create a composition/sequencing application using pygame?
(cool if you did!)
No, mainly my game just requires everything to be synchronised to the music. I am working on a second game that will play samples when you press the buttons to the music to make more music, but again, it won't involve multiple frequencies or anything without having multiple samples.

Based on your answers - it seems like extending to the DirectAudio api
would be an interesting idea - maybe someone has begun undertaking it??
The only problem with this is that you're leaving anyone that doesn't use Windows out of the loop. And that's probably around half of the people that use pygame or more.

Just another cent or two,
Brendan
--
* tgz@orotech.net * http://clickass.org * ICQ# 1107012 * AIM/Yahoo: theGREENzebra * http://mp3.com/thegreenzebra