[pygame] get_rel and events

I'm using get_rel in a pygame + pyOpenGL app (under Win XP) to get mouse movement (for camera/player control), and the event processing stuff for clicks in menus.
When it's running slowly, sometimes... er..

When I hold down the mouse button without moving the pointer I get repeated MOUSEBUTTONDOWN events. It seems to repeat until the mouse is moved or the button is released.

If the mouse if moved rapidly and the button is pressed and held, sometimes it does not even get one MOUSEBUTTONDOWN event.

(Sometimes MOUSEBUTTONUP events may be missed too if the mouse is in motion)