Re: [pygame] pygame is a disgrace

On 2/15/07, Rikard Bosnjakovic <rikard.bosnjakovic@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 2/15/07, Bob Ippolito <bob@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I think it would've taken a lot less time to compile some version (any
> version) of pygame for Python 2.5 than to write this message.

I'd beg to differ.

Pygame 1.7 had a lot of dependencies which was a real pain in the
backside to compile. Pango and Cairo pops up to mind, but these are
only a few. I think I struggled for about 5 straight hours before
throwing the Gnome/GTK/whatever-deps out and finally fallbacked to an
earlier binary version.

I'm pretty sure that neither Pango or Cairo are direct dependencies of pygame. The majority of the libraries you need are the SDL ones, which you can get precompiled on every platform that pygame supports. On top of those you need couple other libraries like libpng, but you can get those precompiled as well.

I could imagine that it would be a royal pain in the ass if you were
compiling EVERYTHING from scratch on a *nix platform... but don't do
that.

-bob