Re: [pygame] Re: Stand-alone executables

On 2/19/07, Luke Paireepinart <rabidpoobear@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Phil Hassey wrote:
> Hey,
>
> For Linux, I think you can dual boot or run it in a VM or something.
> I don't know the details, but it should be possible.  For MacOSX,
> you'll need a Mac.  You can bug a friend who has a Mac to do it for
> you (I tried this for a while, but it was inconenient for both of
> us.)  Eventually I just got myself a Mac Mini - they are quite
> affordable and well worth the purchase if you want to sell your game
> cross-platform.
>
> Other option - sell your XP machine and get a Mac.  Rumor on the
> street (again, I haven't done this) is that with Parallels *Desktop*
> for *Mac *you can run both linux and XP in windows on a Mac.  And then
> you only have to have one machine in order to compile your game for
> all 3 platforms.
Why exactly can't people see your code, Daniel?
Is it just that distributing the source makes it inconvenient for them?
Because you shouldn't expect these py2exe-type programs to protect your
code.

If you do care about protecting the source, these methods are generally good enough. It's not in plain sight, and you have to be a pretty good Python developer to know what to do with the .pyc files once you've got them.

I'm pretty sure 95% of Linux and Mac PCs come with Python already.
You could provide people with all installs they need and instruct them
in which order to use them, or something...
I'm not sure.

People that want to play games (or use an application) don't care about source and they definitely don't care about following a bunch of instructions to install an insane number of dependencies for a game.

As a developer you don't want to have to worry about which version of
the OS is installed, and you DEFINITELY don't want your game to break
if they upgrade their OS.

Whatever you do, don't even consider this route for end users. It's
not easier for anyone.

-bob