Re: [pygame] simple examples

On Sunday 10 February 2008 00:12, Ian Mallett wrote:

> On Feb 9, 2008 4:08 PM, Mikhail Ramendik <mr@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Thanks, but as I understand this will lock the code until a key is
> > pressed?
>
>  No...
> You'll get input each frame which this function.

So I should just call it each time from the main loop?

> I'm not sure what you
> mean by "lock the code".

I thought it was waiting for a keypress - was wrong.

> > I am planing to have other sprites "floating", so will need to update
> > them periodically as well. I don't want to use threads - the task is way
> > too simple for the hassle.
>
> You are right.
> What you should do is have each sprite have a coordinate and an x and y
> speed in a list.
> If you want them to have rotations or have different aspects (like color,
> picture, size, etc.) a class might be better.
> Then, you just move each sprite's position by its speed.

Actually I do plan to have a different picture for each sprite. So I was
planning to use the Sprite class to store the pictures and coordinates, and
only do the blit in the main loop.

As for moving position by speed - I would somehow need to coordinate it with
real time as "speed per loop" seems somewhat meaningless.

I am a total beginner in pygame and that's why I hoped to see an example.
Right now I am not even sure how the main loop should be constructed.

(I really am only doing it because I have a kid unedr 3 yo, and all the
Linux "games for small children" rely on the mouse - which my kid does not
grok, and I see his point, the mouse thing is really way less "natural" than
keys. My aim is to do enough for my son's fun - then I'll just release the
code, perhaps someone else will want it).

--
Yours, Mikhail Ramendik