Re: [pygame] PyGame / PyOpenGL Example

On Wed, Feb 13, 2008 at 10:16 PM, Ian Mallett <geometrian@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Strangely enough, I've never had problems using textures which are not a
> standard size.  Any idea why?

I assume by "standard size" you mean non-power of 2... you probably
have no problem with it because all the machines you've worked with
have openGL 2.1 drivers and/or drivers with
ARB_texture_non_power_of_two enabled (glGetString(GL_EXTENSIONS) will
tell you what extensions you have - but as Rene found out for me,
don't call it before creating your window on Mac OSX)

support for non-power of 2 texures is pretty much standard for recent
graphics cards ...provided the user is running opengl drivers from the
card manufacturer (probably because it's part of the 2.1 standard) but
one notable place support is missing on windows is Vista's standard
OpenGL 1.4 implementation. It probably doesn't have that support
because it maps to Direct3D, where support for such textures is still
optional.

On Mac OSX, I *think* it's standard as of the machines that came out
about the 10.4/Intel change era