Re: [pygame] Re: Check Sound status in Pygame

It seems you need to do your own channel management. It is easiest show with a code sample. Note this is untested.

#  A queue of channels from oldest to newest
channel_queue = []

def play_sound(sound):
   """Play a sound

If all channels are busy then reuse the channel that was playing the longest.
   """

   for i, c in enumerate(channel_queue):
       if not c.get_busy():
           channel = channel_queue.pop(i)
           break
   else:
       if len(channel_queue) < pygame.mixer.get_num_channels():
           channel = Channel(len(channel_queue))
       else:
           channel = channel_queue.pop(0)
   channel.play(sound)
   channel_queue.append(channel)

Lenard

Wyatt Olson wrote:

OK, I found the method get_num_channels which seems to do this. However, I now need to be able to stop playing oldest sounds if I wish, to clear out space for other ones. For instance, assume that I have 16 channels defined. I am trying to play 30 notes on the ride cymbal in a 5 second interval. The ride cymbal sample is 10 seconds long. Without stopping sounds, once I play the sample 16 times, I cannot play any more until one of the samples finished playing. What I would like to do is check how many samples are playing, and if the count is greater than some threshold, stop the oldest instance of the playing sound. I can't seem to find any way to stop a single *instance* of a sound - if you call stop() or fadeout(), all instances of the sound will be stopped. I realize that this requirement is a bit more unique for my application, but I imagine that manipulating individual instances of existing sounds can be useful to anyone.

Please let me know if I am missing something else which should be obvious to me.

Cheers

Wyatt Olson wrote:
Hello all,

I am developing a drum sequencer program using Pygame, and have a (hopefully easy) architectural question for you. How can you tell if a Sound object is currently playing? (On any channel - I don't care where it is playing, I just want to know if it is). There is no 'is_playing()' or similar method which I could find. I imagine that this is a pretty common request, so I must be just missing something.

Thanks!