Re: [pygame] PyDay #1

Adam Bark wrote:
On 28/02/2008, *Luke Paireepinart* <rabidpoobear@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:rabidpoobear@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    >     Which is why Kilo is not an SI standard unit for 1024.
    >     You have to use Kibibyte when referring to 1024 bytes.
    >     Because it's confusing.
    >     Start using the correct term, and perhaps it will catch on,
    like it
    >     should've already :)
    >

    > Kilo isn't a unit at all it's just a prefix.

    I meant Kilobyte.

kilobyte is an SI unit?!
Yeah, in SI it means 10^3 instead of 2^10. This is just because of the prefix.
Wikipedia says:
"1024 bytes (2^10 ): This definition is always used to express memory chip capacity, and other quantities which are based on powers of two. Most software also uses it to express storage capacity. This definition has been expressly forbidden by the SI standard ([1] <http://www.bipm.org/utils/en/pdf/si-brochure.pdf> section 3.1, marginal note), and, since 1998, most standards organizations <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standards_organizations> instead recommend the term *kibibyte <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kibibyte>* (*KiB*)."

So the SI committee have explicitly told people not to refer to 2^10 bytes as a kilobyte, I guess. Since it's inconsistent with the standard amount denoted by a kilo prefix.