Re: [pygame] Pygame Subset for Android 0.9.2 Released

On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 5:24 AM, Renà Dudfield <renesd@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Do you build it on ubuntu? ÂIf so, what packages do you need to install to package it?

Yes. From Ubuntu I grabbed the jdk and ant, while I downloaded the android-sdk and android-ndk directly from google.
If you're not using 64-bit ubuntu, you'll need to compile python 2.6.4 and copy the python and pgen binaries into Python-2.6.4 as hostpython and hostpgen, respectively.Â

Is there a way to install it without the market? ÂMy cheapo tablet doesn't have the market on it yet(without a hack), since it's still android 2.2, and apparently they're not supposed to put the market on 2.2 with 10 inch screens. ÂI guess I can just build packages which include pygame for people to download manually.

Two ways (both of which require you to enable "Unknown Sources" on the Applications Settings screen):

- You can just download the .apk file using the web browser, go into downloads, and choose it. That should install the app.
- Once you have the sdk set up, you can connect to the computer and run "adb install -r app.apk". (This also requires you to enable U
Is the web cam supported? ÂI'd guess not. ÂMy device has one, so it'd be neat if it was working. ÂI wonder if we can use normal linux video interface (then we can use the code included in pygame already) or if we'd need to use some other API.Â

I don't believe that the NDK supports accessing the camera directly. So we'd probably have to use JNI to access the camera.
What do you think of including other common game modules? ÂFor example, numpy, pybox2d (Âhttp://code.google.com/p/pybox2d/Â), pyaudio, etc.
Is there a chance to get ctypes working? ÂOr is that not possible with the python?

It probably makes sense to have a way of including these modules, if they can be cross-compiled. With the new model (where each application ships with its own copy of python and pygame), it probably makes sense to have a way for people to choose which modules should be included. That's what I'm doing with the Ren'Py-specific modules.Â
At the same time, convincing Python to cross-compile is something of a challenge, since there isn't a supported way of doing so.Â