[pygame] Re: 0.4 rpms

On Thu, 14 Dec 2000, David Clark wrote:

>The 0.4 rpms are in contrib.
>
>As before, please note that the RPM will only work for you if you have
>SDL_mixer, SDL_image and SDL_ttf installed, and you _don't_ have the
>numerical python extensions. If this doesn't describe your setup,
>please use the SRPM.

This is a late comment about the RPM. I finally got to updating my stuff
from 0.2 to 0.4, and expected a lot of breakage and mayhem, but it was
quite easy. Constructors capitalized and aSurface.map_rgb removed on a lot
of places was all I had to do. Excellent work!

The RPM worked fine too, with one minor exception. The __init__.py file
(for me /usr/local/lib/python2.0/site-packages/pygame/__init__.py) tried
to import joystick, but there was no such file, and I don't have any
joystick at all. I have installed the required stuff (SDL_mixer, SDL_image
and SDL_ttf), so it could be a minor issue. I commented out the offending
line and it all works just fine. Maybe compiling from source would have
done it? I tried that yesterday at home, and it all looked ok, but I never
got any package! I don't know what went wrong, as everything seemed to
compile just fine, but no package got ever created. :-)

Otherwise the RPM works just as good as it should work, good work David!

>As a side note, in about a month I'll be switching from Redhat to
>Debian, and the RPMs will go unmaintained. On the other hand, we'll
>have DEBS :)  My experience trying to get RPM to work nicely with
>pygame and distutils played no small part in my decision to switch.

I'll be switching to Debian sooner or later too, but I just have so much
stuff configured (backups, ups, scsi, lvm, nfs, automounts...) that it
will take a long time for me to get all that working again. That has been
putting off the installation. :-) I was very impressed with Debian when I
installed it on our home firewall.

Anyway, enough with the rambling. 0.4 works good for me (as did 0.2), and
I think it is Good Stuff(tm).