Re: [pygame] Re: 0.4 rpms

hi guys, i'm back! been back a couple days secretly hacking on
the surfarray module. (i've fixed several problems and one big
one left to tackle, but i've uncovered the what i need to do)

> This is a late comment about the RPM. I finally got to updating my stuff
> from 0.2 to 0.4, and expected a lot of breakage and mayhem, but it was
> quite easy. Constructors capitalized and aSurface.map_rgb removed on a lot
> of places was all I had to do. Excellent work!

good to hear. so far all the changes have really been for the better
(aside from the temporary new_surface type constructors :[ )

curious about the joystick. the joystick module wasn't actually
added into the install until version 0.4 anyways, so perhaps
it just missed the boat in the RPM setup. joystick is one of
the required pygame modules, it is not optional (and doesn't
need to be)

since 0.4 there have been no breaking changes (and none expected)
so the move to 0.5 should be no problem. at this point i don't
expect there to be any more of those ugly breaks.

i have been thinking about a couple small enhancements though.
one of them is to allow Surface.blit() to optionally accept a
rectangle for the destination position. currently i find i am
always passing "myrect.topleft" as the position argument, and
simply passing "myrect" could be a little cleaner and just as
clear. if Surface.blit() does get a rectangle argument for the
position, the sizes would simply be ignored (just like SDL, hmm?)

also, i've been wondering about the removal of Surface.map_rgb
and all associated functions. i like the new RGBA arguments instead
of the pixel value, so i wouldn't be going back to that. (although
perhaps allowing functions to accept either RGBA or a pixel value)
at this point i'm not going to be adding these functions back.
the only thing they offer is a little speed enhancement since you
can pre-map you color values. at this point i'm just thinking if
you want faster pixel access go with the (soon to be working)
surfarray module.

any thoughts?

> Anyway, enough with the rambling. 0.4 works good for me (as did 0.2), and
> I think it is Good Stuff(tm).

this is always good to hear. currently 0.5 will be released shortly after
we see SDL-1.1.7 come around. at that point i'm going to consider the
current set of pygame modules to be pretty much done. after that point
it will be looking into more optional modules. i'm hoping to start seeing
some of the projects out there. (i already found and sneaked a peek at
civil, can't wait)

as for the extra modules, i've tried experimenting between pygame
and pyopengl. the results are not so good. i can't get any opengl
to draw in the sdl window. not even sure where to begin looking
for this sort of problem, so unless someone makes it their own
priority to get the opengl stuff working, i don't expect we'll be
seeing it for quite awhile. (btw, it could be something really
simple, so if you are interested out there i wouldn't be discouraged)

the first thing i want to try is a module for drawing with piddle.
i've got a long list of other ideas you can see in the "TODO" file.
(doh, just noticed cvsweb is down)