Re: [pygame] Re: 0.4 rpms

ShredWheat writes:
 > hi guys, i'm back! been back a couple days secretly hacking on
 > the surfarray module. (i've fixed several problems and one big
 > one left to tackle, but i've uncovered the what i need to do)

Welcome back!

 > curious about the joystick. the joystick module wasn't actually
 > added into the install until version 0.4 anyways, so perhaps
 > it just missed the boat in the RPM setup. joystick is one of
 > the required pygame modules, it is not optional (and doesn't
 > need to be)

Ugh. My fault. You're right, I forgot about joystick.so. Lesson is:
always test somewhere other than the build machine :(

I've corrected the fault, and the new rpms are in contrib.

 > i have been thinking about a couple small enhancements though.
 > one of them is to allow Surface.blit() to optionally accept a
 > rectangle for the destination position. currently i find i am
 > always passing "myrect.topleft" as the position argument, and
 > simply passing "myrect" could be a little cleaner and just as
 > clear. if Surface.blit() does get a rectangle argument for the
 > position, the sizes would simply be ignored (just like SDL, hmm?)

This would be very good.

 > also, i've been wondering about the removal of Surface.map_rgb
 > and all associated functions. i like the new RGBA arguments instead
 > of the pixel value, so i wouldn't be going back to that. (although
 > perhaps allowing functions to accept either RGBA or a pixel value)
 > at this point i'm not going to be adding these functions back.
 > the only thing they offer is a little speed enhancement since you
 > can pre-map you color values. at this point i'm just thinking if
 > you want faster pixel access go with the (soon to be working)
 > surfarray module.
 >
 > any thoughts?

I don't know enough to say. Don't people working in 8bit modes need
colour number support? Or would they just keep an array as a sort of
software palette? I use RGBA everywhere, but I'm working in 16 bit
colour...

--
David "Futility [D!]" Clark  |        If I was beautiful like you        |
silenus@telus.net            |          I'd be quick to assume           |