Re: [pygame] Pygame support for both SDL and DirectFB

On Jan 8, 2004, at 2:31 PM, Dmitry Borisov wrote:

Just trying to understand the need of the above.
I was pretty bored when trying SDL to use all features of my CLE266 chipset through using DirectFB. In some cases it works 8 times slower, in some it does not work at all.
I was trying to fix that miscommunication in SDL but realized that it would be very messy to use DirectFB from python through pygame->SDL->DFB. Very long run isn't it ?
My next guess was to use pydfb to get that thing working. But it has very weird and raw interface, so I can hardly do something serious with it.
So I came up to the need for pygame to support DirectFB. The major reason for that is performance. SDL->DirectFB giving me 10-12 MPix/sec ( 7-8 MPix/sec with pygame+psyco ) whereas the same DirectFB app can easily run up to 80 MPix/sec.
My questions would be:
Is it really mean to someone to have pygame using DirectFB as a displaying layer ?
Don't you think it would be too bad to have pygame->DFB on linux only ( meaning no portability in this case ) ?
This sounds more like a SDL problem than a pygame problem doesn't it?

Besides, In my opinion, pygame is probably too low level to support multiple backends. If you're going to go through all the trouble of abstracting all these graphics issues then you should probably do it at the sprite level or something.

-bob