Re: [pygame] Pygame support for both SDL and DirectFB

pygame->SDL->DFB. Very long run isn't it ?
My next guess was to use pydfb to get that thing working. But it has very weird and raw interface, so I can hardly do something serious with it.
i doubt the pyfb interface will be any faster than the pygame through sdl way. although it may directly expose more hardware accelerated draw operations, which sdl does not have much of. the difference between 10 Mpix/s and 80Mpix/s is not because of a middle library translating function calls. It definitely means you don't have SDL keeping its Surfaces in a format directly blittable by directfb.

i'm sure the reason you are seeing directfb code faster is because it's images are in a native blittable format. you can do that with SDL/Pygame by passing the HWSURFACE to the display.set_mode() call.

bob is exactly right about adding multiple backends into pygame. it really needs to be higher level, handling more of the details for you. it would probably not be hard to make a python wrapper for pyfb that looked similar to pygame for what you need.