Re: [pygame] Game demo for review

On 1/12/06, David Mikesell <dave_mikesell@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > When I was controlling things well enough, I really liked the pacing
> > of the game (speed of the enemies vs. speed of your ship and all that)
> > it's just about right for me - the game isn't too fast paced, but I
> > feel like I can really move when I have to, which is very cool - a
> > nice fun casual feel. (didn't seem to match the name of "frantic"
> > actually, but I don't like twitch games)
>
> Incidentally, what is the highest level you played?

I only went up to level 3 (to be blunt I quit because of the controls)
so maybe I didn't see any of the real frantic-ness?

I tried playing again to see if things got crazier, but had to quit at
level 4 this time (partially because of the controls, but also because
the flashing blue enemies bugged me.. the temporary cloaking is an
interesting mechanic, but if there was some kind of transition in/out
and maybe they were less regular it would help a lot to not cause
blink madness)

I just noticed how much exploding enemies will kill other enemies, I
like that a lot, very cool. It's fun to try and get them all together.
blowing up enemies in a chain like that might be something good to
reward with visual feedback & score (games are all about reward
schedules and giving rich feedback).

 I think that effect (explosions killing other enemies) would be even
cooler if there was a slight delay before an explosion could kill an
enemy (to make them more like chains instead of just multiple enemies
dying at once - psychology tests show that animals tend to get more
excited/stimulated/whatever by a number of small rewards with short
time spacing than a single large reward of the same total magnitude)