Re: [pygame] Want to buy font

The license and faq material you posted seem pretty straightforward.  If in doubt, seek legal counsel. Many cities/universities have free legal counsel for small-businesses just getting started. See if your community has a business development organization and ask them if such a service exists.

On 1/19/06, HandyGM <klachemin@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Peter Shinners wrote:

> I'm almost positive you cannot redistribute these fonts, but I've seen
> it done by commercial programs.

Yeah, I've discovered Arial and Georgia are not redistributable, but
what do you think about the "Bitstream Vera" font license at
http://www.gnome.org/fonts, suggested by BobTheHamster? I've read it,
the license seems pretty open, but I'd appreciate your opinion as well.
The fonts are good - not as nice as Georgia, but plenty good for my
purposes, anyway.

Thanks again for the link, Bob!

--Kamilche

Here's an excerpt from the license:
Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a
copy of the fonts accompanying this license ("Fonts") and associated
documentation files (the "Font Software"), to reproduce and distribute
the Font Software, including without limitation the rights to use, copy,
merge, publish, distribute, and/or sell copies of the Font Software, and
to permit persons to whom the Font Software is furnished to do so,
subject to the following conditions:

The above copyright and trademark notices and this permission notice
shall be included in all copies of one or more of the Font Software
typefaces.

and an excerpt from the FAQ:

Copyright FAQ

1. I don't understand the resale restriction... What gives?

    Bitstream is giving away these fonts, but wishes to ensure its
competitors can't just drop the fonts as is into a font sale system and
sell them as is. It seems fair that if Bitstream can't make money from
the Bitstream Vera fonts, their competitors should not be able to do so
either. You can sell the fonts as part of any software package, however.

2. I want to package these fonts separately for distribution and sale as
part of a larger software package or system.  Can I do so?

    Yes. A RPM or Debian package is a "larger software package" to begin
with, and you aren't selling them independently by themselves. See 1. above.

7. I want to sell a software package that uses these fonts: Can I do so?

    Sure. Bundle the fonts with your software and sell your software
with the fonts. That is the intent of the copyright.

--
Matthew Nuzum
www.bearfruit.org