Re: [pygame] When is pygame 1.8 coming out?

Lenard Lindstrom wrote:
Kamilche wrote:
Well, ctypes isn't as hard as I had feared. I've got an example running that blits some simple boxes and pictures to the screen. I must admit, getting it going did make use of my knowledge of the C programming language, tho.

I couldn't use pygame ctypes, because most of the examples were broken, and I just didn't want to figure out why. Instead, I wrote a module to interface to SDL directly, using the ctypes feature of Python 2.5. I was happily surprised to discover that SDL was just a single DLL!

I'm looking forward to getting into it more, and eliminating the installation intricacies and dependency on Pygame. If anyone's interested, I can post the example I've made when I get back home tonight.

I made a Windows installer available for Python 2.5 and Pygame 1.8rc3 available in October. It is close to the SVN but lacks Numpy support. Is is available here:

http://www3.telus.net/len_l/pygame-1.8.0rc3.win32-py2.5.exe

Documentation is here:

http://www3.telus.net/len_l/pygame-1.8-docs.zip

Hope this helps.

Thanks, I'll check it out. Is this documented on the pygame website anywhere, and I just missed it?

I got the ctypes SDL version of my program humming along. I was happy as a clam until I tried to composite two RGBA pictures with per-pixel alpha. What's up with that? :-( Pygame was apparently holding my hand there, and I didn't know it until it got yanked away.

Are there many other tripups like that, where Pygame had to reimplement something SDL was doing poorly? If it was just the RGBA-RGBA compositing, it seems like a single C DLL would suffice, but I don't want to get into that if there's more bombs waiting to explode.

Also - I was trying to make DLL's for Python in the past, and discovered the gnarly 'must have the same compiler Python was compiled with' error. Is that gone with Python 2.5?

Basically - if I go to the effort of making a vanilla C DLL, will it be callable from Python ctypes even though it was compiled with a different compiler? And will this C DLL work on all platforms, or will I have to recompile it for each platform and call different DLL's based on endianness? How do I make a PYD file?

And will there be an afterlife when I die, or do old coders just fade away? :-D

--Kamilche