Re: [pygame] Speed up image.tostring with OpenGL ?

The only other way I know how to make OpenGL textures is with NumPy, using the GL_FLOAT token.  This may be better for your purposes--although the way I see it, converting a surface to a texture is going to involve a conversion no matter which way you do it.  Note that it's much faster to update a texture rather than create a new one.  If at all possible, this may be your best opinion to improve speed.