[pygame] Oldest Python version that pygame library scripts should support?

In the pygame library scripts, there are some sections which could be optimized further, but compatibility with older versions of Python would be broken. I can't imagine why we'd need to support anything older than Python 2.4, since the current pygame source code no longer compiles for Python 2.3 and older in Windows. What is the oldest version of Python that we're trying to maintain compatibility with?

Thanks,
Jason