Re: [pygame] Pygame and Enthought

On Thu, Jan 07, 2010 at 10:13:15AM -0800, David Arnold wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've installed the latest EPD 6.0 on a Macbook Pro running Snow Leopard from www.enthought.com. I'd like to give pygame a try, but I am unsure as to how it should be installed on my environment.
>
> On www.pygame.org, I did see some installation instructions for Snow Leopard, but these depended on Macpython, a different distribution.
>
> Has anyone installed pygame in the Enthought distribution that could lend some advice?

I had never heard of EPD before your mail... but I spent some time
reading their website, and I am a little bit suspicious of their
license. IANAL, but their licencing terms look like they might possibly
violate some of the licenses of the packages they are bundling inside
EPD. I could be wrong about this, I'm just saying that it smelled a tiny
bit fishy to me...

Is there any special reason why you have to use EPD instead of some
other version of Python?

This page of their FAQ
http://www.enthought.com/products/epdfaq.php#installlocation
says that on Mac, EPD installs python into
/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/<version>

That leads me to believe that EPD's python is just an ordinary Python
framework install. Don't the regular Mac install packages on pygame.org
work with that?

---
James Paige